Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Talking with your child about acts or terror

    Upon waking up this morning my thoughts went out to the people in Boston affected by yesterdays bomb attacks. My kids and I watch the news every morning because I believe my kids need to be informed about what is happening in the world and not just their own backyard. The news gives you insight into other cultures and lives and it is reality. When watching the news this morning about the bombs going off during an innocent thing like a marathon, I was at a loss for words on how to explain it to my kids. Why would someone do something like this? It shatters your sense of trust and innocence. I started looking on the web to find some good articles on how to talk to children about acts of violence and terror without scarring them. I found this How to talk to your kids about terror
and How to talk to your kids about the Boston terror

     As parents I think we need to be honest with our kids and tell them the truth about what is going on, but tell them in a way that does not scare them or takes away their trust in people. Focus on the good that comes out of bad. Focus on how more people are there to help and more people do good than to bad. If your children are  a little older discuss what you would do if this were ever to happen to you. We live in a world now where these things can happen to anyone anywhere. It is a time to come together, hug your kids and loved ones tell them you love them Focus on the positive not the negative. Every journey starts with the first step make it a step of love and not hate.


No comments:

Post a Comment