Friday, April 12, 2013

Great resource for kids with learning disabilities

My daughter suffers from Dyslexia, I sensed it early on and repeatedly tried to get the school involved to get her help, starting in Kindergarten I knew she had a problem with letters and reading. The school told me to calm down and that she would outgrow it. Kids learn at different speeds they told me. But I knew something wasn't right. By the time she was in second grade the problem was very obvious and we had a teacher that believed us and recognized she needed extra help to read and write. She took all the tests and they confirmed my suspicion that she is dyslexic. From then on she got help from the school, extra tutoring, extra time on test, etc. Come fifth grade I realized it still was not enough, she would need more help to be able to keep up with her peers when she starts middle school. I friend pointed to me a learning place on Kansas City called Applied Learning Processes. This place has been amazing and we are seeing results. It is an intense program and a large time and monetary commitment, but well worth it. We are now half way through this program and already seeing results. Our children are our greatest investment ( and expense) I know there is nothing I would not do for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment