Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cultural Differences

As I am in Norway this week I have had time to reflect on the differences between the cultures of America and Norway. Here in Norway everyone takes public transport to school, work, fun everywhere, it is the norm. In America , at least the Midwest, we drive everywhere. So I am wondering if this driving everywhere and not being out in public more enforces this fear of letting my children loose?

While in Norway I am far more relaxed about the children leaving my sight. I allow my ten year old to walk to the store alone, to go down the street to buy something at the corner kiosk, if I lived here I am sure I would let her take public transport to school and every other activity she has, letting her become more independent and secure on her own. However in America I barely let her walk the dog alone around the block or leave my site at the Mall. I am the same parent in both countries but my fear for my children's safety is much higher in America. I am wondering if this fear is based in truth...is America more dangerous for my children than Norway? does the media in America make me more fearful so I act with more precaution? Or is it because we drive everywhere so we feel sheltered in our cars. Or is America more dangerous for children?

I struggle with these questions now as my kids grow older and demand more freedom. When I was their age, ten years old, I would travel by public transport by myself for hours to get to my skating lessons, horse back riding you name it. I did it by myself and I was fine, I learned alot and became independent. I want this for my kids but can't seem to let go of the fear...at least as long as I live in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment